Australian websites with parenting advice:
- ABCD Parenting Young Adolescents Program – plenty of factsheets to download, including advice on common problems faced by most teenagers, and practical ideas for high-risk situations
- Raising Children Network – parenting advice for children up to 8 years
- Parenting South Australia – includes easy parenting guides
Other Australian resources available online:
- Adolescent Violence to Parents – a resource book for parents and carers produced by Inner South Community Health Services, South Melbourne, Victoria.
- Help! My child has run away from home! by Natalie Robinson of South West Child, Adolescent & Family Services (NSW) – resource booklet for parents on dealing with runaway behaviour (2003).
Australian books on parenting – available from most Australian bookshops or online from Fishpond:
- The ‘Good Enough’ Parent: How to provide for your child’s social and emotional development by Dr Andrew Wake – full of practical suggestions about responding to strong emotions, setting boundaries and communicating as a family. Using analogies about our “reptile brain” (desperate for safety), “mammal brain” (which seeks attachment) and “human brain” (which can think logically), it explains how the different parts of our brain react and control our thinking and behaviours. Read a sample chapter here or at Amazon.
- Surviving adolescents: The must-have manual for all parents by Michael Carr-Gregg – small, easy to read book with cartoons by Ron Tandberg. Lots of practical advice. Look inside here.
- Raising real people: creating a resilient family by Andrew Fuller – Easy to read and funny. Extensive preview available through Google Books. Also useful downloads on Andrew’s website.
- Tricky kids: transforming conflict and freeing their potential by Andrew Fuller
- The Princess Bitchface Syndrome by Michael Carr-Greg – “What to do when your previously quiet, loving daughter becomes a restless, rebellious stranger who behaves like a responsible adult one day and a vampish brat the next.”
- Raising boys: why boys are different – and how to help them become become happy and well-balanced men by Steve Biddulph – Extensive preview available through Google Books.
- Real wired child: what parents need to know about kids online by Michael Carr-Greg
Can you recommend a good website, book, organisation or other resource?
Please comment here or contact us